When I discovered Javacia's blog, The Writeous Babe Project, I knew we could be fast friends sharing a love for Beyonce, writing, and God. Not necessarily in that order. Now having met her in real life over coffee, lunch and even in a small group, she's actually out of my league. Javacia is a high school teacher and editor of See Jane Write Magazine, a lifestyle publication for women writers, bloggers, and journalists. If you write, she's your Jane.
1. What is something you wish you’d never said out loud? I wish I’d never told anyone that I’m not sure if I want to have children. When you say that to people they look at you like you’re a Martian or a terrorist, or a Martian terrorist. (I am human and I love America. I promise.) Plus, now if I do decide to have a kid I will have to deal with “I told you so” along with nausea and swollen feet.
2. What is the strangest/funniest encounter you’ve ever had with a medical professional? After having my wisdom teeth removed I awoke from the anesthesia thinking the dental assistants were trying to attack me, so I started yelling and swinging my fists at them until my husband appeared and calmed me down. I hope those women got a bonus for dealing with me that day.
3. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
3. Name 3 things on your bucket list.
- Be in a Jillian Michaels fitness DVD.
- Write a book that people actually buy and read.
- Be Beyonce.
4. What is one of the most embarrassing things anyone has ever caught you doing? When I was about 13 one of my friends caught me singing and dancing to a really raunchy R&B “love” song that I had written. I would share some of the lyrics, but I believe this blog is rated PG.
5. What is something your parents still do not know you did? Wrote raunchy R&B songs. Hey, don’t judge me. I spent plenty of time writing Maya Angelou-inspired poetry too. That should atone for my sinful lyrics.
6. Which celebrity would you like to be friends with in real life? What would you two do on a sunny Saturday? I am obsessed with Jillian Michaels. I talk and/or tweet about her daily and I’m on a mission to buy and complete all of her workout DVDs. We’re already BFFs in my head. And in my daydreams we spend our sunny Saturdays going for a run and then we secretly eat pizza and cupcakes, but it’s OK because we burn off all the calories doing 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 or some other torturous, yet terrific workout of hers.
7. What is your favorite word and why? I’m a teacher. My favorite word is “summer.”
8. Which Wizard of Oz character are you most like and why? I think I’m most like Sister Peter Marie because even though I’m a godly woman I don’t take any crap from anyone, not even convicted killers and drug dealers. Oh wait…you said Wizard of Oz, not the HBO prison series Oz. My bad.
9. What is your greatest extravagance? I’m a full-time teacher and a part-time journalist. I can barely afford to type the word extravagance.
10. What are websites/blogs you frequent that other folks should also frequent?
- Independent Fashion Bloggers. I’ve always wanted to be a fashion blogger but I don’t have the wardrobe or the photography skills to do so. Thus, I just read IFB daily and pretend I’m a fashion blogger. This isn’t a waste of time, though, because the site gives great tips that could be useful to a blogger of any niche.
- Jamie the Very Worst Missionary. If you’re a Christian blogger who secretly hates Christian blogs (because let’s be honest, most of them suck), this blog will feel like a godsend. Jamie’s posts are raw and real, yet filled with her passion for God.
- Sarah Bessey. She had me at “Jesus feminist.” It’s hard out here for a Christian feminist, but Sarah’s writings let me know I am not alone. (P.S. – this is another Christian blog that does not sucketh.)
- A Place to Dwell. Katie’s sweet spirit and positive outlook inspire me to love my life and the people in it.
Rabbit Readers: What is your favorite word and why?